Dates: March 29 – 31, 2019
About the project
The Yenching Global Symposium (YGS) is an annual event that brings together people from different fields and across generations with a common interest: China. This year, the three-day event will take place in March 2019 and will comprise engaging speakers and interactive events on the topic of Wǒmen: Retelling the China Stories. This conference will feature prominent international scholars and leading young professionals from a wide range of fields and will provide a highly focused, application-based experiential learning platform.
The Yenching Global Symposium is hosted by the Yenching Academy at Peking University, Beijing, China.
The Yenching Global Symposium will take place on March 29 – 31, 2019. Delegates will arrive by the evening of March 28th.
If you are selected as a delegate, the Yenching Global Symposium will cover your round-trip flight tickets, accommodation, and meals for the duration of the event. Delegates have to bear visa expenses (if any), local transport fares and are advised to carry some money for personal expenses, sightseeing, etc.
Special assistance will be provided for participants with special needs.
Who is eligible
Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in any field;
- Strong interest in learning about China and engaging in nuanced, interdisciplinary discussions which address critical societal issues relating to China;
- Available for the entirety of the conference, March 29-31st 2019 (and available for any required travel time to and from Beijing);
- Have not attended any of the previous Yenching Global Symposiums or Yenching Social Innovation Forums;
- English Proficiency;
- Leadership potential;
- Bonus: Involvement in China-related activities – academic, voluntary, professional, extra-curricular.
Applications are highly competitive; we will only consider applicants who meet all the eligibility criteria and whose submissions are fully completed.
TIPS FOR APPLICATION
- Please save your responses on a word document for your reference. Drafts will not be saved. Please only submit the full application when all responses are filled;
- Your responses should be maximum of 200 words, and responses fewer than 100 words will not be considered competitive;
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. It is in your best interest to submit your application as soon as possible;
- Incomplete and/or late applications will not be accepted;
- If English is not your first language or you have not graduated from an English-taught program, please provide IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores. Applicants who do not have IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge or CEFR scores should provide a description of other English proficiency experience.